Information gathered from Hillsboroughcounty.org
COVID-19 Symptoms include:
- Shortness of Breath
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle Pain
- Sore Throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
What to do if you are sick:
- Do not leave your home except to get medical care
- Do not visit public areas
- Stay in touch with your doctor, Call before you get medical care. Be sure to get care if you feel worse or you think it is an emergency
- Avoid public transportation, ride-sharing, or taxis
- Separate yourself from other people in your home
- Avoid sharing personal household items
- Clean all “high-touch” surfaces daily.
There is no charge for testing at public testing sites. If you do not have insurance you WILL be tested for free
What to Bring:
- Have a photo ID with name and date of birth for all persons being tested (can be Florida driver’s license, state-issued ID, or passport).
- Individuals who have health insurance should bring their insurance cards with them in case this information is requested.
Prepare for your Arrival:
- These locations are drive-thru.
- Each person to be tested must be seated next to a working window.
- Limit vehicle passengers to those needing a test.
- You will be required to provide the following information:
- Full name
- Current address (where you are staying)
- Best contact information to reach you in case the result is positive
What to Expect:
- You will be greeted by a health care provider in personal protective gear who will give you instructions.
- A minimally-invasive nasopharyngeal swab test will be administered.
- Several factors may contribute to an inconclusive or Test Not Performed (TNP) result. Please refrain from eating or drinking for two hours prior to your appointment time. This includes chewing gum, drinking coffee or taking non-prescription oral medications. Drinking water is allowed. Following these guidelines may help mitigate inaccurate test results.
- Test results are not immediate. Depending on the type of test, it may take several days to receive the results. After taking the test, you will be given information on what to do while you await the results.
Testing sites are staffed by health care professionals in medical protective gear who are trained to test for COVID-19 coronavirus. Directional signage and law enforcement will help residents through the testing site in an orderly fashion.
Other Testing Options
If you feel that you may need more immediate attention, please contact your primary care physician.
Some other locations in Hillsborough County where residents can get a COVID-19 test are listed below. These options may require a doctor’s note, insurance, or out-of-pocket costs.
- BayCare is repositioning resources in response to the novel coronavirus outbreak to help stem the spread of COVID-19. Information on BayCare testing
- Multiple CVS locations across the county can administer COVID-19 tests. Make an appointment at CVS
- MedExpress is offering testing at its Tampa location. Information on MedExpress testing
- Walgreens is offering COVID-19 testing at select locations, including several in Hillsborough. Information on Walgreens testing
- There are some companies offering home test kit options as discussed during a public meeting.